Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Monsoon Fury!

Mumbai battered! Torrential rains drown Mumbai! Highest rainfall in India! 660 mm of rainfall in Mumbai in a single day! Mumbai Airport closed! All local and long distance train service standstill! 150,000 people stranded at various stations and places in Mumbai! People spend an entire night on the top deck of a double decker BEST bus! Some people walked from VJTI to BARC, some walked from Chembur to Prabhadevi. Just one day of rainfall and Mumbai is shut down. Well sitting here in Philadelphia, I can only imagine the plight of scores of mumbaikars braving the incessant rains, wading through waist deep water, in some places neck deep. Reading some of the horror stories on rediff made my hair stand, giving me a shiver down the spine. You may think I am out of my mind, but how I wish I could be there at this very moment, experiencing all the nature's fury, wading through waist deep water and walking from college to home with millions of unknown mumbaikars and lend my hand at rescuing stranded people. You may think I am crazy, how I wish I could be stranded in VJTI with my buddies and spend the entire night in VJTI. I know its easier said than done, but it would have been one experience of my lifetime. Kudos to all the mumbaikars, the never say die attitude!. Whole of mumbai came to a standstill but the people were up and about, helping people, providing assistance and for once I can say "Mumbai cares!" Mumbai is the greatest city in the world. Here I come, "Mumbai meri jaan!"