Friday, July 22, 2005

Harry Potter mania

I used to wonder why people like Harry Potter so much when I was back in India. Every other person used to ask me have you read harry potter? I used to think Harry Potter is for kids. There after until I came to US in 2004 I hadnt read a single Harry Potter Book. In summer 2005, after nine gruelling months, I by chance came across an offer on Amazon.com where I was getting the set of 5 Harry Potter books for just 20 bucks. I went ahead and brought the set thinking these five books would take me through the entire 3 months of summer break. I was wrong. I started with the Harry Potter and Sorcerer's stone and was througoughly enchanted with Harry Potter and way JK Rowling wrote. I was amazed by the completely different way of her writing. At king's cross station on platform 9 and a half I hopped onto the Hogwarts express on a journey into the magical land, Sorcerer's Stone was followed by Chamber of Secrets at breakneck speed, and I zoomed into the Prisoner of Azkaban and by the time I was rescued from azkaban I was neck deep into the Goblet of Fire. Swimming through the goblet of fire like a submarine I came to the Order of Phoenix. In just under 2 months I was holding the last of the first five books in my hand. I was surprisingly feeling downright sad the day I put the last book down after reading about the death of Sirius Black. In the meantime Harry Potter 6 release was getting close and I was desperately awaiting my copy of the Half Blood Prince. 16th july 2005 was the day. Lot of questions in mind and full of anticipation I awaited with bated breath. Will Voldemort be killed by Harry Potter? Will Dumbledore help Harry to get to the end? Is Snape really bad as Harry thinks? Will Harry Potter fall in love with Cho Chang? How will the students at Hogwarts be protected against Voldemort? The suspense was killing. Finally on the morning of 16th I was rewarded with emerald green hardcover copy of "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince". I received the book on the day of its release. I plunged headlong into it, but surprisingly the going was slow. I managed only 40-50 pages a sitting. Maybe it was because, I was reading the last book and wanted to savor each and every word and not miss out a single thing. I was also against some dark sinister people ;) who were hell bent on letting out the end of the book. The very threat made me finish the book as early as possible. The sixth book was as fascinating and well written as the earlier five. Quiet a few unexplained things were clarified by rowling and again few mysterious people like slughorn were introduced. The basic theme of the book was obviously the mystery about who was the Half Blood Prince, but who had expected JK Rowling to throw the biggest surprise in this book. I was shocked beyond imagination on reading the apparent death of Dumbledore. After the first five boooks I had somewhat taken a liking to Dumbledore. Well as in muggles life people die, even in magical Hogwarts people die. Its now all upto harry to finish off voldemort. The end of the sixth book has spwaned a discussion about Dumbledore's death, Snape's true identity, will harry kill voldemort on his own?, will Dumbledore be revived? I am now eagerly anticipating the finale of this series. This has to be the greatest book of my life. Harry Potter 7 will surely be snapped up by eager harry potter fans as he 6th one was. Long live Harry Potter!!