Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Honesty is the Best Policy

"Honesty is the best policy". I learnt this proverb way back in my school days. Today I found out that honesty literally pays. I am a regular at a food cart here in Drexel, so much that we are on first name basis. I ordered something to eat, paid and accepted the change. I was walking back and suddenly realised that I had more money than I started with. I promptly went back and returned the extra money. The look on the face of the cart owner was priceless. This was some months ago. Yesterday, at 2:00 in the afternoon, feeling ravenous, I went to the same cart and ordered my regular meal. I couldnt wait to eat, so I rushed back without bothering to look at the returned change. After the meal it struck me that instead of giving me change for $20 the cart owner gave me change for $10 and I was $10 short. By that time the cart was closed for the day. Today in the morning I went back and told him that I was $10 short. I was surprised to see him returning the extra money promptly with the words "I trust you, only you!". Well I guess he hadnt forgotten my earlier honesty. Honesty is the best policy!