Saturday, September 24, 2005

Family Tree

Sometimes Cyber space can throw up surprises as hitchhiking through the galaxy would. On a boring Sunday afternoon I lazily typed Kalghatgi in Google just to see how many people in this world share the same difficult to pronounce surname. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kalghatgi's have made a lot of progress with many of them actually having their own webpages. This spurred me on to track my Family tree. I tried hundreds and thousands of sites, searched on google, asked my mom and dad, but I could only track as far back as my grandfather, dad's dad. Finally I gave up, given the time and motivation I would build my family tree on my own. One fine day somebody sent me an orkut invitation and I created my own profile and added all known people to the list of my friends. Out of curiosity I searched for people having surnames Kalghatgi. The search came up with 6 people. One of them being me, the second being my cousin Nikhil Kalghati here in USA. Items # 2 and #4 were interesting, Suparna Kalghatgi and Pallavi Kalghatgi. I thought they would be some light years far off cousins or something. I added suparna to my friends list and there began the saga of two kalghatgi's each of us as surprised as a monkey in front of a mirror. One coincidence after came to light. Her granpa stayed with my granpa when he first came to mumbai. Her father graduated from VJTI in 1970 and my father graduated in 1972. Finally the most important question, were we related, turns out we arent and there I was back to square one and I have start to start rebuilding the family tree. Well I think Kalghatgi's are a minuscule part of the gargantuan Indian population. Any kalghatgi's reading this post?