Thursday, July 29, 2004

Tounge Twister

Kalghatgi!!.....uhh..ohh.....how does one pronounce this....Triceratops or onomotopoeia would be easier to pronounce isnt it?
he he well this is the same dilema everyone faces when I tell them my surnameThey would have wished they hadn't asked in the first place
I have had many instances where people are completely flummoxed because of my surnameThe various attempts result in kal..what, kalghati, kalghatti, kalighati, kalighata and many more....
The best (or should i say the worst) experience i had was when I had to book my Air ticket. I called up the travel agent and introduced myself. Then came the most difficult part...well u guessed it right my surname. After n attempts at pronouncing my surname  spelled it out to her and her response for verification was
Kangaroo, Alpha, London, Giraffe, Horse, Alpha, Tiger, Giraffe, Ice : )...whew finally she got it right....
well I dont know how many spelling games will I have to play to get my surname right ; )What does KALGHATGI mean...well its the name of an obscure village in northern karnataka near Dharwad. never been there in my life and I dont think I ever will go there. This is where my ancestors hail from...he he...so it will have to continue however difficult it may seem.....KALGHATGI...whoever gets it right in the first shot will get a prize ; )