Monday, April 18, 2005

Foods

Not so much of a food person I was just wondering the many different cuisines I have tried out since coming to USA. American, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Thai, Turkish and not to forget my own cooking which does not come in any of the earlier cuisines;)
American: Mainly all sorts of meat preparation. Bland and boring. Its very hard to survive as a vegetarian in USA. I sort of turned vegetarian after surviving on non-veg for three months. Maybe I just got bored. But there is a wide variety of foods available. Most preparations use cheese, lettuce, tomatoes,mayonnaise,mustard, meat and more meat
Chinese: Hunan, Yu Hisiang, Lo Mein, General Tso's, and many other difficult to pronounce names. Basically food available at the carts, cheap, consisting of either noodles, fried rice, steam rice, meat, seafood, tofu and vegetables, and at best only fills your stomach. I got fed up of having similar tasting food with different names at lunch for 6 months.
Mexican: The food closest in flavour and appearance to Indian food. They do have different names like Jalupas, Nachos, Burritos, Taco, but very simply put its mostly like the frankies back home in India. Maybe a lot of desis migrated to Mexico and introduced desi food there long back;)
Thai: Almost similar to chinese food preparation, but with even more funnier names. Pad thai noodles, noodles with different shapes and sizes, sticky rice and more rice, agian with meat, tofu or vegetables.
Indian: The influence of Indian food on the American palette is unmistakable. Of the numerous Indian joints I have been to, Americans make up the majority of the eaters. I was very surprised to see Americans enjoying spicy chicken tikka masala with biryani :)
Turkish: well I only had a sweet dish made of cashew brought by a turkish classmate.
My own food: No matter what food we have, we Indians still like the basic ghar ka khana, daal chawaal and sabji roti. Though no expert at cooking, I can boast that I can feed myself and a bunch of ravenous desi friends to the hearts content:). Oh I almost forgot today is my cooking turn. Must head home, nahi toh roommates mujhe kha jayenge :)